Monday, April 13, 2009

What a pain!

Quick hypnobabies udpate - I am in my second week of the 5 week homestudy course and enjoying it so far. I can already tell that I have many more strategies under my belt this time for increased relaxation. One of the things that I am enjoying most are the daily affirmations. There are two 40 minute tracks that I am supposed to listen to each day - one for during pregnancy, and another that I will start closer to the birthing time. They are just positive statements about my pregnancy, health, the baby, my body, etc..... (yes, think of SNL and the skit from years ago when the actor would look in to the mirror and say, "I like myself and gosh darnit, people like me!" - it does have that feel but in a much better way!).

Speaking of my health, so far as I have progressed in this pregnancy, I have stayed away from medicine, caffiene, sugar substitutes, and a few other things. Then there was this weekend. About two weeks ago I ended up needing a old cavity cleaned out and refilled. Well, it was very deep and you can only guess what happened next. Friday I got the worst headache and had experienced increased sensitivity since the filling, but chalked it up to the recovery period. Well, when the headache came on I just knew. So I figured I would be at the dentist this week. At first I had a lot of referred pain and could not figure out exactly which tooth was hurting, but then by Saturday I knew. OMG - such pain. I broke down and started taking Tylenol. It didn't do much so I switched to extra strength. Sat night I could not sleep. Finally Sunday morning I called my dentist's emergency line in tears. The opted to put me on Vicodin. Yikes! I called the dr on call to get their opinion and also spoke to a pharmacist. My dentist, dr, and pharmacist all told me that I did not have another option as a preggo and that we needed to deal with the pain immediately until I got to the dentist. Went to the dentist this morning and as I thought, I need a root canal (you have to be kidding me! This makes about #7 in my life - thanks teeth genes from Dad!). But first we have to deal with the infection, which is raging! Ahhhh. So I am on an antibiotic and can expect the pain to subside in the next 24-48 hours once the antibiotic really takes hold. In the meantime I still have to function so I am on xtra strength Tylenol during the day and depending on how things go tonight, may need the stronger stuff. I hate this. I want to cry. The baby is moving all around though, so I am just hoping that it is all okay. I know it will be, but wish this could have waited until after she was born, but there is just no way!

Have a dr appt Thursday - more belly pics then!

1 comment:

  1. Ohh Kyle, I'm so sorry that you have so much pain with your tooth! I can only imagine how awful that must feel -- don't worry, I'm sure the medicine will be OK for the baby. Hope you feel better very soon!
    Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete